It took more than 30 years of Indian fighting and pioneering before present-day Allen County’s first settlement in 1824 on Sugar Creek in Bath Township became a reality. The man responsible for much of this was Christopher Stark Wood, Allen County’s first settler and the “Founder of Bath Township.”
On April 14, 1824, Wood stood on the banks of Sugar Creek – the first white man to blaze a trail into the heart of what was soon to be Bath Township, Allen County, Ohio. Wood became the first Clerk of Bath Township. On March 2, 1829, the Township of Bath was organized. This was the first organized government within the present-day limits of Allen County which at that time was attached to Mercer County.
Over the next three years, the Bath Township Trustees had jurisdiction over most of the present day area of Allen and Auglaize Counties. On July 18, 1829, the Trustees of Bath Township met with householders of the district to set up the first school districts of Allen County. In 1830-1831, Allen County and a new town called Lima were just over the horizon.
Today, Bath Township is blessed with many advantages to provide a great place to live, work and raise a family. Easy access to I-75, robust manufacturing facilities, healthful park and recreational areas, a great public school system, the Ohio State Regional Campus and quality housing subdivisions. The Township Board believes in providing progressive safety services and a safe transportation infrastructure to encourage new development and safety for its residents. The Board of Trustees feel Bath Township will continue to be as successful in the future as it has been in the past.
Inscription: Here arriving from Logan County in 1824, Christopher Stark Wood established on Sugar Creek, the first settlement in what is now Allen County. His family and others joined him soon. Land was cleared; cabins were built. After only five years, Bath Township, an outgrowth of the settlement, was organized. Names of some of the settlers are found in the Berryhill Cemetery.
– Sign erected in 1976 by the Allen County Bicentennial Commission.
Location: 40° 47.303′ N, 84° 6.129′ W. Marker is near Lima, Ohio, in Allen County. Marker is on Bluelick Road ¼ mile east of West Street (State Route 65), on the right when traveling west. Click for map. marker is on the north side of Bluelick Road, just east of the WORTH Center, and about 0.25 mile west of Sugar Creek Church of the Brethren. Marker is at or near this postal address: 121 E Bluelick Rd, Lima OH 45801, United States of America